I can’t even lie, guys — coming up with a list of 100 goals for the fourth year in a row was hard — ridiculously so. I’m a very different me than I was when The 2013 100 came out, back when free time was still an abundant commodity I didn’t even know I was taking for granted, trying to fill it with countless things that’d keep life interesting.
A problem I most definitely don’t have in 2016!
As I work at surviving the upcoming year — especially with our second child’s imminent arrival — I needed to make the list a lot more realistic; I’m all too skilled at chasing ambitions that exceed my lifestyle’s capacity, and I’ll need to keep wary of that in 2016 if I want to see myself make it out the other side!
So without further ado, The 2016 100. It took a couple of days to polish off after recovering from the gauntlet that was 2015, but I feel like it’s a list that will really make waves in this life o’ mine should I see it finished!
But hey — that’s what I say every year ????
Thanks for reading!
1) Write an amazing series for Black History Month
2) Win a vacation for my dry cleaner
3) Watch Creed; Mad Max: Fury Road; The Martian; Ant-Man
4) Take Eric to a sporting event so he can stop complaining about getting left from sporting events
5) Phase my old 3.5″ hard drive out
6) Get rid of my old electronics
7) Stop biting my nails
8) Get rid of the wedding thank you cards I never sent
9) Clean out the basement crawl space
10) Build shelves into the crawl space
11) Give my FWD Powershot 2 to my old manager the hockey coach
12) Do the CN Tower Edgewalk
13) Sort out my old TD employee RSP
14) Consolidate everything down to a single notepad
Though a chiropractor I started seeing late into 2015 told me I’d developed some mild sciatica in my back, I didn’t need him to tell me I carry too much STUFF. In a digital age where we can pack mountains of information into a single device, there’s really NO NEED for me to carry all the draft posts and note that I do — save the fact that working from hard copy’s the way my brain’s WIRED.
In 2016, I need a little more focus to keep all my ideas stored in one place so I’m not constantly carrying EVERYTHING in my house made of paper, knowing that I probably scribbled SOMETHING on ALL of ’em.
15) Sort out the Internet situation at home so I can stop relying on tethering to LTE data
16) Learn enough Spanish to understand my sister-in-law’s Mexican wedding in May
17) Find time for date nights, which will involve finding someone who wants to babysit two kids… how about we just find more awesome things to do at home, just in case?
18) Try Uncle Tetsu’s cheesecake
19) Get to 0 drafts on CaseyPalmer.com by converting everything into live posts
20) Install the growth chart for my kids that we got at my office baby shower
21) Update all the old content on CaseyPalmer.com
22) Upgrade the site infrastructure to better support contest traffic
23) Redesign the heck out of the blog (Twenty Sixteen, what up)
24) Find the time to pack more lunches for work
25) Clean up and optimize my Pinterest account (I still have that copy of Pinterest Savvy lying around somewhere)
26) Shave more regularly
27) Hand out my remaining business “cep” cards so I can put in a new order (wait — do we still do business cards?)
28) Clear out the bookshelves to prepare for Baby #2
29) Replace the lost key to our 2011 Ford Edge
30) Figure out what I ACTUALLY need to run my site and invest in THAT.
31) Replace our bathroom sink
32) Meet with the people who I never seemed to schedule in through 2015 (Aaron, Emma, Ria, Adrienne, Dianna)
33) Get a Brookhaven Computer Cabinet
The 1% of the Casa de Palmer workspace I use to do all the things isn’t the best — in fact, it’s falling apart. As I get older and start formalizing my #BloggerLife, Sarah and I agree that my workspace should evolve to show that. It’ll take some saving to make it happen, but it’d be a nice addition to the home.
34) Get a steamer, since I RARELY have time to iron a shirt.
35) Get Sarah a new computer to replace her quickly aging Asus — I’m thinking a Microsoft Surface Pro.
36) Get the Christmas stockings embroidered with everyone’s names to match the one I got as a kid.
37) Mend my shirts, jackets and sweaters to make them last longer.
38) Buy a hacksaw. (I literally have no saws in my toolboxes, and that’s never a good idea!)
39) Make photo books for Little Man and his little brother.
40) Get new towels for the bathroom.
41) If we’re just using it to watch Netflix ANYWAY, replace the Playstation 3 with an Apple TV or Roku 3 or SOMETHING.
42) Get cool swag from Mexico City, including (but not limited to):
– luchador figurines, masks and memorabilia
– skulls with awesome designs
– sculpted jaguars with beads all over them
43) Get a good quality men’s grooming kit.
44) Give Sarah the mystery gift I promised her since we started dating, since she saw this list when I was writing it and demanded to know why it didn’t make the cut*.
45) Mend the Herschel knapsack.
46) Get new glasses and MAYBE sunglasses.
47) Finish the CaseyPalmer.com upgrade.
(And yes, this includes re-uploading all those images you’ve left sitting on your desktop unattended for all this time!)
48) Watch the Star Wars films in Machete order.
49) Draw more. WAY more. Use up all these art supplies cluttering my space!
50) Finish One Piece in One Piece.
51) Get rid of my old HP legal-sized scanner that’s incompatible with the current Mac OS X and is just taking up room.
52) BUT, invest in high-speed photo and negative scanners to archive Sarah and my families’ histories
53) Fix the garage door.
54) Clean out the garage.
55) EXERCISE, you dummy — you aren’t getting any younger! Drink more water while you’re at it!
56) Do a full wardrobe refresh!
It’s time to go through that closet and figure out what’s actually worth KEEPING. Can’t hold on to everything forever!
57) Get new orthopaedic shoes.
Because flat feet are the WORST.
58) Seriously — get the Toronto Fun List MADE.
59) Get new headphones to replace my Audio-Technica ATH-M50s which’re falling apart from overuse.
60) Hit up a local sleep clinic and get tested for sleep apnea.
61) Build an active group blog, because especially with a second son on the way, it’ll be IMPOSSIBLE to be all the places all the time!
62) Get your goram G licence!
63) Hang Christmas lights up for the first time!
64) Find a new box for my cufflinks.
65) Formalize the CaseyPalmer.com business strategy
66) Solidify my social media presence, including finalizing my LinkedIn profile and getting the @CaseP Instagram account.
67) Finish “32 Things I Know Now That I’m 32”
68) Change my life insurance mailing address from my parents’ to mine
69) Now that I’ve got my hands on a DJI Osmo, shoot more video content in 2016! But get a lapel mic and shotgun mic for the thing, first!
70) Figure out what to do with Justin’s htc one that’s been sitting around since the last HoHoTO we went to!
71) Create my marketing kit and digital portfolio for CaseyPalmer.com
72) Finish cleaning up Walmer’s old sound files
73) Clean out the eavestroughs
74) Read my candygrams from high school
75) Create more visual content (infographics, comics, etc.)
76) Build an emergency preparedness kit for the family
77) Cook for the family more often
78) Write Christmas cards for friends, family and neighbours
79) Get a photographer to work with me at events so I’m not so “invisible” on my blog
80) Get a new vacuüm cleaner, preferably a Miele Complete C3 PowerPlus
81) Invest in a Vitamix G-Series 780
82) Play with some new cameras, like the GoPro Hero 4 Black, and a Canon 5D Mark III with a Canon EF f/4L 11-24 mm lens
83) Buy a Gary Fong Collapsible Snoot
84) Read the Bible more often with Little Man
85) Submit my outstanding insurance claims
86) Submit my work expenses from that trip I didn’t really want to take but had to pay out the nose for
87) Read all the comics I have stacked on my list
88) Use the Adobe Creative Cloud more effectively
89) Do more speaking gigs
90) Actually make use of the MailChimp newsletter list I’ve put together and communicate with my email list!
91) Call my grandparents a little more often… just to see how they’re doing.
92) Get massages regularly
93) Take better advantage of personal development programs at work
94) Instagram more regularly — daily if you can pull it off!
95) Finish up the last remaining posts I’d wanted to write in 2015.
96) Figure out what I want to get with all my Air Miles
97) Explore more of Toronto and write about the experience (I’m looking at you, Casa Loma!)
98) Support more worthwhile causes, but learn more about what they REALLY do with their resources
99) Send my Mom to at least one Toronto Raptors game
100) Visit BOTH of my brothers’ houses since I’ve never seen EITHER of them. AND my boy Jay’s. And my best bud Rami’s (once he’s all married and settled in and stuff.) VISIT ALL THE PEOPLE!!!
Until the next,
* Apparently I’m not allowed to take it to the grave, either.