Last updated on March 9th, 2021 at 12:51 pm
We all have them—the things that tick us off, no matter how big or small. I tend not to sweat the small stuff the older I get, but that wasn’t always the case, and back in 2003, I was quite the thin-skinned lad, indeed.
That said, I’d like to share with you a list of the pet peeves I had at the age of 19—while some things have definitely changed, some very much stayed the same.
My Pet Peeves
- People who snap their gum or even chew gum with their mouths open. I find this disgusting, annoying, and a turn-off. If I had the option, I would take my hand and ram their gum so far down their thoraxes that they’d learn never to do it again.
- Smoking and drug consumption in general. I’m just opposed to this altogether. The more often I try to find reasons to justify it, the more I hate the idea altogether. The smell of the smoke and the things I see people do just make me want to hurl.
- Stereotypes and adherence to them. Alright, so you’re Black. Or from Alabama. Or Jamaican. Whatever. There’s only one constant about a person—the fact that they’re human. In my opinion, the majority of other factors really shouldn’t play largely upon your ability to succeed as an individual. Honestly, if you’re Black and complaining about how life has got you down, do something about it. Get your education. Stop complaining! If you’re trying and it’s not working, that’s different. But in many other cases, I have no sympathy. And the entire nerd, jock, and whatever label? Come on! Be who you wanna be, honestly! This world is messed up.
- Stupid emails. I do not like forwards, or chain mail, or anything that’s going to waste my time. I block people for this. Find another way to use your time!
- Ignorance. Don’t be ignorant. Don’t be stupid. The world is full of over six billion people. You are not the centre of it. Your views do not overrule those of another individual. You are on equal terms. Either accept it, or take it elsewhere. I’m not here for it.
- George Bush, George W. Bush, Sadaam Hussein, Osama Bin Laden, dudes who shot Abraham Lincoln and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., 98% of the USA, the CIA, the US Army, etc. ‘Nuff said.