Last updated on April 2nd, 2021 at 12:26 am
So unless you’ve been under a sizeable rock for some time, you’ll know that Starbucks is back with their #StarbucksForLife contest, rewarding droves of java junkies with chances to win several prizes if they complete the contest challenges!
My buddy Zach and I spoke recently about #StarbucksForLife, thinking about the most efficient route to scoring the contest badges in a race to catch ’em all! (Because, you know, who would I be without an obligatory Pokémon reference?)
So, using the information we have so far, here’s a look at how I’d go about getting the maximum impact from the #StarbucksForLife campaign for my fellow Canadians!
Here’s how the Canadian challenges work out:
- Getting the Hang of It: Play Starbucks for Life 3 days in a row.
- Hot Streak: Make a purchase for 5 consecutive days in a row.
- Regular Joe: Make 10 separate purchases at the same Starbucks® store.
- BRB: Make a purchase between 2-4 pm.
- BF 4 EAE: Complete this challenge by referring a friend to play through the Facebook and/or Twitter buttons below. Please note, your friend must register for the Starbucks for Life1 promotion for you to complete this challenge.
- All Day: Make a purchase with your Starbucks® app or registered card before 12 pm and one after 12 pm in a single day.
- Jump the Line: Make 3 separate purchases by ordering ahead through the Starbucks® app. (Mobile order and pay is not available in Quebec. Residents of Quebec can complete the challenge by requesting free plays via the link in the footer and following the steps on site.)
- Early Riser: Make 3 separate purchases before 7 am.
- Coffee Ranger: Make a purchase at 5 different participating Starbucks® stores. (Note: While this is the condition needed to get Coffee Ranger, for many players, they get the checkmarks, but the game doesn’t award them the completion. I assume it’s a bug and that Starbucks is well aware of it….)
- Weekender: Make a purchase on a Saturday or Sunday. (Thanks to Wendy for the confirmation!)
- Recharge: Make a purchase of $10 or more with your Starbucks® app or registered card between 2-5 pm.
- Best Barista Ever: Submit the name of your favourite local barista and one thing you love about them.
- Social Butterfly: What would you order every day if you had Starbucks for Life? Post a pic of your choice on Instagram and use #StarbucksforLife and #contest. Then connect with your Instagram account using the button below.
- Badge Collector: Complete 7 challenges.
- Coffee with Friends: Make a purchase of $15 or more in a single order.
Now, like any good couponer could tell you, the real value in mastering #StarbucksForLife comes in stacking—using overlapping challenges to complete them all in the least trips possible! As long as you don’t start on a Monday, you should be able to do this in five days.
A couple of things before starting:
- You’re going to want a Starbucks you can visit several times for five days in a row
- You’ll need to be able to hit Starbucks before 7 AM a few times
Those in mind, here’s how it breaks down:
DAY 1 MORNING (before 7 AM)
- use the mobile app to order ahead and hit your local Starbucks before 7 AM to start your day
- log in to #StarbucksForLife and send your barista a nice note (Best Barista Ever)
- share your drink on Instagram with the #StarbucksForLife and #contest hashtags (Social Butterfly)
coerceconvince a friend on Twitter or Facebook to sign up with your referral code (BF 4 EAE)
- also, make sure to ask your barista for a one-time use code so you can get an extra play for #StarbucksForLife! (The codes are obtained either in-store or online over the course of the game and can only be used once no matter where you get it from, so may as well get it out of the way.)
DAY 1 AFTERNOON (2-4 PM)
- you’ll need to make a large order through the Starbucks app of $15+ and order ahead (BRB, Coffee with Friends, All Day, Recharge, Badge Collector)
DAY 2 MORNING (before 7 AM)
- use the mobile app one last time to order ahead and hit your chosen Starbucks before 7 AM (Jump the Line)
- log in to Starbucks for Life
DAY 2 AFTERNOON
- get your Starbucks
DAY 3 MORNING (before 7 AM)
- visit Starbucks (Early Riser)
- login to Starbucks for Life (Hang of it)
DAY 3 AFTERNOON
- hit Starbucks one more time
- visit Starbucks twice
- visit Starbucks twice (Hot Streak, Regular Joe)
And there you go! Assuming you didn’t start on Monday, you’ll have a weekend day in there and presumably score the Weekender, and only be left with Coffee Ranger, which is still a mystery to us all.
Now if you’re like me and know there’re certain badges you haven’t a ghost’s chance of getting (because any parent with a toddler who can get out to a Starbucks before 7 AM is downright impressive), worry not—there’re other options available!
If you look near the bottom of the #StarbucksForLife screen, you’ll see a disclaimer marked:
**NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A purchase of any kind will not increase your chances of winning. To enter without making a purchase, click here.
If you do as it says, it takes you to a page where you can earn 2 plays per day against a challenge of your choice! Great way to fill in the blanks if you—say—don’t have an Instagram account, or you’re playing with a Starbucks Rewards card and don’t have the app, you can still stay well in the game.
So good luck trying to get your #StarbucksForLife—if you happen to win, don’t forget the guy who pointed you in the right direction; you have until January 16th to get in on the action!
Enjoy the java!
Until the next,