A new year with fresh starts, new hopes and new goals. Nice.
If you've spoken to me as of late, you've probably realized that I'm trying to figure out how to position myself financially over the coming years. Despite whatever I'd like to think, I am growing up, and will need to take care of grown-up responsibilities.
So okay, fine. What's this look like right now?
- Getting a ring for a 2010 engagement, as promised to my girlfriend of two years
- A hopeful trip to Europe in September and an even more hopeful trip to Australia in January 2011 for her cousin's wedding
- Getting the last dollars I need to buy the MacBook Pro I've coveted for the last five years
So, okay. It's like conquering an addiction – the first step of beating a problem is admitting you have one. Step one taken care of.
Now for the good part – the plan of action in order to deal with the issue.
I've proposed a challenge to myself – to make $20,000 on top of my regular salary in 2010. I know, crazy, right? But it's one of those things you'll never know whether or not you can do it until you try! That's about $384.62 extra a week, or $54.80 a day. It's not an amount to sneeze at, but that won't stop me from trying to figure this out!
So what will I do to make this happen? Some ideas I've thought of include (but are obviously not limited to):
- Singing telegrams
- Art commissions
- Business analysis
- One-shot jobs that I normally wouldn't think of
The 2010 20K posts you'll see in the next 365 days will focus on my quest to make this money, how it gets spent on these big-ticket items and how I stretch out the money I do make so that this isn't all for naught. As things currently stand, my full-time job is only guaranteed until mid-April, so contingency planning is also something I'm keeping in mind. I hope you'll all come along for the ride while I try to do this 🙂
Now, for a few ground rules:
- Anything I pursue in trying to achieve this goal must be legal – sure, drugs and prostitution can turn a quick buck, but I'm not about to head down those paths
- Anything I do must be done outside of my regular work hours – I can't knowingly jeapordize my employment in trying to pull this off, but I'll try to balance out work and everything outside of it to make it all doable
- Any money I earn/get outside of work pay is allowable – side jobs, birthday money, change I find on the sidewalk – oh baby, it's on!
So I guess I've got my work cut out for me. Come back to the blog for daily updates 🙂
2010 20K Running Total = $0.00
Thanks all, and I hope you'll support me in this,
–Casey E. Palmer, aka case p.