The 2K11 24/7 XVI: Sunday Inappropriately Rhymes with Fun Day
Up and getting ready for church. Okay. I can do this. Stretch. Yawn. Eat some food. This isn’t impossible. I’m not a morning person, but some things are bigger than you. Type. Brush. Okay. Okay. Here goes.
So I took a look at the stats for yesterday’s poll
so far (please feel free to go and vote if you haven’t already), and I must say that I haven’t learned squat yet 🙂 So I guess I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing and that’ll be that. (Yes, I do talk like this in real life – many sentences have repetition. I’m a big walking sack of literary devices.)
So some of the improvements I’d been considering talking about today included:
- Getting rid of one’s consumer debt
- Working less and learning to relax more
So since I don’t really feel like writing about any of those right now, what do I do? Do I write about my efforts in helping others improve
? Ha – funny thing about that; to paraphrase myself (I tend to say many things that people see as useful, but I never know where these things come from, thus I never remember them),
“I help others, so that they can eventually help me help them become who they need to be.”
Translation: If I do you a favour, I’ll eventually call in a favour. When I call in that favour, it will not only benefit me (obviously), but I will use it to benefit you as well. Let’s take an example of this to explain my thinking behind this:
- Let’s say I do a graphic for a friend of mine. Gets them out of a bind, they’re happy, life is good.
- Now let’s say that the same friend makes custom cufflinks and I need to buy 150 for an event. I might ask them if I can get a deal for the bulk order, because we’re cool and all that.
- At the event, I’ll go out of my way to promote their name, increasing their exposure and hopefully their sales.
Recognize people for their work. Pay things forward. Treat others better than you expect them to treat you. Not easy things to do consistently, but if we develop a culture where they’re all done more regularly, improvements will come with it.
A peer asked me yesterday whether I still draw
. Oh. Y’all don’t know. Y’all just don’t know. Coming soon!
Until part XVII,